Today I am breaking down the headboard I created in our dorm room design. Want to know how I made this graphic and glamorous beauty for just $15 in a few hours?!!! Keep reading!
1. Go to your local hardware store and choose a thin piece of of wood. I chose 1/4 in luan that would stain well and be easy to hang. The wood will most likely come in a 4ft x 8ft sheet. I had the the people at Home Depot cut it down to the exact dimensions I wanted before I left.
2. Next I took it home and stained it.
3. To create my shapes, I used painters tape. Of course it is blue, so that had to change. I simply spread the tape out on my excess wood and spray painted it gold.
4. Then, I measured and cut my pieces to create the shape I wanted. Of course, you could create any shape you like.
Instead of spray painting tape you could just buy decorative tape (like the kind pictured below) from CUTE TAPE or one of the many other suppliers online. Pretty cute stuff!
5. To hang the headboard, I simply used industrial strength velcro. To make sure it doesn’t take paint off the wall when you leave- just heat it up with a hair dryer. The adhesive will melt and it will come off clean.
I hope you are inspired to create your own awesome headboard for your dorm room, apartment, or home! If you do, send me photos so I can feature it on the blog!!!